Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My 16 week old puppy ate a cooked lamb cutlet bone... what…

Customer Question
Hi my 16 week...

Hi my 16 week old puppy ate a cooked lamb cutlet bone... what should we do??

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?

French Bulldog named Rupert

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Rupert?

Other

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
7/30/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

How long ago did he eat it? Was it eaten whole or in bits?

Any retching, gagging, lip licking, drooling, or vomiting?

Can he keep any water down?

Are his gums pink or white/pale? Moist or sticky?

If you press on his belly, any tensing, tenderness, discomfort, or pain?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ate it roughly an hour ago, not sure if full or bits.
No drooling, vomiting, gagging or retching
Gums are normal and he has had water.
No pain, tensing, tenderness or discomfort with his belly

Hi again,

Now in situations like this, we do always need to tread with care. Especially if we don't know if we are facing a bone piece big enough to cause blockage or shards that can damage the gut. With this in mind and since it was only an hour ago, we have a few options. Ideally, we'd want him to his vet urgently for scoping (where they use their endoscope to remove this from the stomach and bring it out via the throat). That way we can get this out safely and avoid all risk.

Otherwise, if that isnt' an option for any reason, we need to take a supportive care and close monitoring approach to this situation. To start, we will want to feed Rupert small meals of a light diet. Examples of an easily digestible diet include cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled egg, or meat baby food (as long as its free from garlic or onion powder). Ideally, we want to offer this as small frequent meals to keep his stomach settled. Whichever you choose to offer, you can add some fiber (ie a spoonful of tinned pumpkin or all bran) to the food to bulk up his stool and push this through the intestines. As well, you can also add a dose of a GI lubricant (ie cat hairball medication Miralax, lactulose or food grade mineral oil). These can be beneficial for getting the bone slipping through the gut. Though do be aware that when using the lubricants, we can see self limiting runny stools, but that tends to settle once we are finished using it.

While doing this, we do need to keep a close eye on Rupert. Red flags of trouble or obstruction include restlessness, lethargy, vomiting with blood or coffee ground type material, inability to keep any food or water down, anorexia, pale gums, belly pain, straining to pass feces or passage of black feces (digested blood). If you see these signs, then having him seen would be best for his vet to have a feel of his belly +/- an xray to see where everything is and whether it will pass on its own.

Overall, situations like these always require us to be on our toes and tread with care. At this stage and since he has no signs, we can consider the above steps to just get it out right now and avoid risk. Else we'd use supportive care while keeping a close eye. Though if we see any of those other signs, then we'd want him examined +/- x-rayed to assess if we have any risk here. Otherwise we'd hope to use the above to push this through and out the other end over the next 48 hours.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.