Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

This side) my JRxPointer had either a food allergy or mites

Customer Question
Good morning ( this side)...
Good morning ( this side) my JRxPointer had either a food allergy or mites in his ears, I think its an allergy to hills metabolic and took him off it two weeks ago. he is quite aggressive at the vets and can only be checked when they give him anaesthesia and I did not want to put him through that the second time in three months. the vet gave him cortisone to take over a few days. his rash on his eyes got better but today its bad, he keeps on rubbing the sides of his face against the carprt, so mush that its red and his hair is gone, I also saw today that his left back paw has also got a rash(maybe from licking). the vets are closed and not answering their emergency number.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. There are all sorts of infestations the dog can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Peanut - JRx Pointer - about 16,5kg, skinny and a very nervous furbaby
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the Pointer?
Customer: he is just hyper (my Ritalin baby)
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
7/30/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 3 months ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

Now if he has responded to the Cortisone that does suggest allergies are most likely and if it is to the food then we often need to treat for up to 6 weeks to give the allergens time to leave the skin cells. Therefore, once his vet is open you may need to ring them about continuing the steroids for a few more weeks (especially as it sounds like the dose he has had is starting to wear off). In the meantime though, while more mild, we can at least try Peanut on an OTC antihistamine. Most often we use Benadryl/Diphenhydramine (ie. 0.5-2 mg per pound of their body weight every 8-12 hours) or Cetirizine (ie. 0.5 mg per pound of their body weight every 12-24 hours). We like to keep the dose low, as it can cause drowsiness. Of course, check with your vet first if your wee one has any pre-existing conditions or is on any other medications. As well, for the raw skin he is chewing/rubbing, we can clean both 2-3 times daily with a mild antiseptic (ie dilute betadine, chlorohexidine, or salt water). Afterwards, pat the area dry and apply an OTC antibiotic cream +/- hydrocortisone cream. The former can help keep infection away and the latter can reduce inflammation and itchiness. As well, since we need to prevent self-trauma, after all this we can put a ecollar on your wee one to protect both areas and prevent him damaging his skin more as we try to soothe his signs.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

Thank you

You are very welcome, my dear.

Have a lovely weekend,

Dr. B.

*Please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

Hi Anon,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian