Dr. Emily
Dr. Emily, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Associate veterinarian at a small animal clinic
77376308

11 weeks old very lethargic. currently hospitalized to watch

Customer Question

11 weeks old very lethargic. currently hospitalized to watch him and run tests but they all seem to come back normal
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name?
Customer: duke
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?
Customer: currently being dewormed and on meds for diarrhea which is better now. blood came back normal, oxygen normal, X-rays came back normal. waiting on liver test results
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Emily replied 2 months ago.

I'm sorry to hear about your puppy. My name is***** and I would like to assist with your concern today. Please ignore the request for the phone call that appears as the website generates this automatically. We can continue talking in the chat format. Did the vet from a fecal test and a parvo test?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
all texts came back negative
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
blood work is normal. He's having trouble breathing some. He's on oxygen currently. They're not too optimistic about his recovery as they can't find an actual primary issue. They told me to make a decision about keeping him hospitalized or stopping treatments and I don't want to give up on him

Did this all start very suddenly?

I would base that decision on how long the symptoms have been going on and how long he has been hospitalized. Also, what medications have they started?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
He had a cold when we got him 3 weeks ago but antibiotics cleared it up. About this last eeek some time he seemed down again but he's currently being deepened and taking antibiotics for diarrhea which wa s caused by the deworming meds. At the hospital he's on antibiotics and fluids to keep him hydrated. He's due for his 3rd set of shots on Tuesday.

If you are able to keep him hospitalized on the fluid and antibiotics, that is what will be the best to give him the best possible outcome.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hey just called me and said he's having seizures and believe it may be distemper.

Oh my, that is very scary. I have only seen one case of distemper. The dog did survive but it was a long road. I am so sorry to hear this is what is going on.