Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dog was eating his food to fast now he keeps gagging

Customer Question

My dog was eating his food to fast now he keeps gagging almost every hour what can do for him. He does do reverse sneezing a give him some Benadryl but he is still gagging
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Coughing can be worrying. The Expert will know what you should do. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: GQ 41/2 years old,Wheaten Terrier
JA: What is the terrier's name?
Customer: Wheaten
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your terrier?
Customer: no
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

How long has he been showing signs?

Is it only after eating quickly?

Any vomiting?

Are his gums pink or white/pale? Moist or sticky?

If you press on his belly, any tensing, tenderness, discomfort, or pain?

Could he have eaten anything harmful (ie bones, toys, plants, chemicals, human meds, etc)?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
he has been doing this for at least 14 hours, no vomiting .. this is the first time it has happen since eating fast.. gums pink moist, no discomfort tenderness or pain he sleeps for two hours then start gagging again
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
should I give Bendryl
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 months ago.

Hello again,

First, I'd note that if Wheaten does eat fast, then the first step here is to divide his meals into several smaller ones and given 30 minute breaks to reduce how much he can take in at one time. That way when the kibble expands in his stomach, it won't overstretch it and cause the gagging we are seeing. Furthermore, I'd not use the Benadryl until the gagging is settled since nausea is also a side effect of that drug.

Otherwise, if we see this continue despite the above adjustments then it would suggest something more on (ie gut infection, pancreatitis, worms, etc). So, we do need to keep an eye but we can also start some home supportive care to try to settle his stomach. To start, you can consider treating him an OTC pet safe antacid [ie Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid), Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac)]. Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption. Of course, do double check with your vet if he has a known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned.

Afterwards, you can consider starting a soft, easily digestible diet like cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (as long as its garlic/onion free). The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset. As long as improvement is being seen, I usually advise continuing this until signs are settled, and then weaning slowly back to your normal diet.

Overall, his signs do raise some concerns here. Therefore, we’d want to start supportive care and hold off on the Benadryl. If he doesn’t respond to the above within 12-24 hours; then we'd want to get his vet involved as it would suggest more afoot. .Depending on their findings, his vet can treat him with injectable anti-nausea medication +/- antibiotics to get him back feeling like himself.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**