Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I believe my dog ingested cutter backyard mesquito spray and…

Customer Question
I believe my dog...

I believe my dog ingested cutter backyard mesquito spray and is vomiting and making mouth movements

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?

Moses 19 months old

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

Moses

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Moses?

Only other thing he could have gotten into could be gasoline but if so would only have a lick

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
If it was gas then I'm sure it was either just a sniff of it or if he licked it the cup was empty so it couldn't have been much. He started eating grass and coughing then finally vomited several times but has since ate and drank but is kind of twitching at the mouth.
7/30/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

How long has Moses been showing signs?

Can you smell either the spray or gas on his breath?

What is he bringing up in his vomit?

Can he keep any water down?

Are his gums pink or white/pale? Moist or sticky?

If you press on his belly, any tensing, tenderness, discomfort, or pain?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I fell asleep I'm sorry. Moses seems to be better this morning. Where do I need to go from here or do?

Hello again,

No worries, I am just glad to hear that Moses seems better this morning. In that case, we'd just want to take things easy and monitor for today. Our more urgent issues would have made him worse, so thankfully his improvement suggests the dose was quite low for him. Anyway, at this stage, to offset any GI upset, you can consider offering a light diet option. Examples of an easily digestible diet include cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled egg, or meat baby food (as long as its free from garlic or onion powder). Ideally, we want to offer this as small frequent meals to keep the stomach settled. Further to this, if we see anymore vomiting/nausea, we can also treat with an antacid like Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid) or Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac). Whichever you use, we'd give this 20 minutes before food to allow absorption and of course double check with your vet before use if your wee one has any known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned. But otherwise if we see no more signs over the next 12-24 hours, we'd assume we are out of the woods and can all breathe a sigh of relief.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. B.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Moses has been fine thank goodness and thank you!

Good afternoon,

That is grand to hear & you are very welcome. :)

Have a lovely day,

Dr. B.

**************************************************

Please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**