Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

He's a 13lb shipoo and he ate about 2 tablespoons of kinder…

Customer Question
He's a 13lb shipoo...

He's a 13lb shipoo and he ate about 2 tablespoons of kinder egg chocolate tonight approx 6-7pm.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?

Princeton and 11

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

Princeton

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Princeton?

No he's eating, drinking has pee and pooped ok. He had a small bit of vomit around 9pm And in good spirits

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
7/30/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 10 months ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but wanted to touch base with you about Princeton.

This is thankfully a very low dose of chocolate and unlikely to cause serious issue. If anything, we could see mild GI upset (vomiting, diarrhea) with this. So, in Princeton's case, you can just plan to monitor for today. As well to offset any GI upset, you can consider offering a light diet option. Examples of an easily digestible diet include cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled egg, or meat baby food (as long as its free from garlic or onion powder). Ideally, we want to offer this as small frequent meals to keep the stomach settled. Further to this, if we see any nausea, we can also treat with an antacid like Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid) or Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac). Whichever you use, we'd give this 20 minutes before food to allow absorption and of course double check with your vet before use if your wee one has any known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned. But again this is a very small dose of chocolate and we'd only expect a bit of gut upset if anything at all.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian