Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My 5 year old Lab/Pit mix who weighs about 50 lbs has been

Customer Question

My 5 year old Lab/Pit mix who weighs about 50 lbs has been eating a lot more grass than usual. He usually likes to eat 10 or 20 bites but on Thursday evening he ate about 40-50 and vomited up a big pile. He did eat dinner a couple of hours later. On Friday evening he dug
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know if the pit will be able to digest that. What is the pit's name?
Customer: dug up my 5 old rhubarb plants and might well have chewed on the roots or the dead flower stalks. he ate dinner Friday night, but today he stayed in the yard very quietly all day (which he never does he wants to be out where the action is). He was sleeping in the sun when I checked on him and didn't do his usual invitation to play. And tonight he he didn't eat a bite.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the pit?
Customer: Could rhubarb roots be poisioning him.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

How long has he been showing signs?

Did he dig up the rhubarb after the vomiting started or before?

What is he bringing up in his vomit?

Can he keep any water down?

Are his gums pink or white/pale? Moist or sticky?

If you press on his belly, any tensing, tenderness, discomfort, or pain?