Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog ate a bunch of used tanpons. 55 lbs golden doodle,

Customer Question
My dog ate a bunch...
My dog ate a bunch of used tanpons. 55 lbs golden doodle
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know if your Golden will be able to digest that. What is the Golden's name and age?
Customer: Conway. 4.5 yrs male
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Conway?
Customer: He's still active right now. Ate them within last 3 hrs
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
7/30/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Peter, Veterinarian replied 3 months ago
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply ASAP.

1- Do you have hydrogen peroxide 3%?

2- How many did he eat?

I have peroxide, but it's expired. He ate 8!!

Do you have a nearby store that you can pick up hydrogen peroxide 3% now?

Please give me 5-10 minutes to type your answer. Thank you.

My neighbor has the peroxide

The concern would be a possible obstruction. I would move quickly and pick up hydrogen peroxide 3% and try to make him vomit. To induce vomiting this is what you can do:

1- Give him 1 tablespoon of hydrogen peroxide orally to induce vomiting.

2- Allow him to walk for a minute and move his belly to mix stomach content with peroxide. If he does not vomit within 5-10 minutes, repeat it again. Can give a total of 3 times 5-10 minutes apart.

3- If he does not vomit I would have him checked by nearest ER vet and they can try to make him vomit with a medication called apomorphine. Or, if you do not see all of the tampons in the vomit change his diet for the next 2-3 days to rice (75%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (25%). The idea is for the rice to help pass the tampons in the feces.

4- If during the next few days you see the following symptoms: lethargy, anorexia, vomiting, constipated or diarrhea, etc. follow up immediately with a veterinarian. These are all signs of potential obstruction of the intestinal tract. In the meantime, observe and change diet as above then wean back into regular diet.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service. If you have any follow-up questions don't hesitate to ask. If finished, please take a moment to rate my service. See you again soon!

Dr. Peter

Dog did not vomit from peroxide. I have some famotidine left over from a recent illness. Can he take that to induce vomiting?

I am sorry for the delay in response I was offline by the time you came back. Famotidine will not cause him to vomit. The next step would have been having him see ER vet to make him vomit with a medication called apomorphine as discussed above.

Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian