Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog has been diagnosed with Cushings Disease. A tumor on

Customer Question
My dog has been diagnosed...
My dog has been diagnosed with Cushings Disease. A tumor on the pituitary. He is now taking Vetoryl capsules, I think 30 mg. I know there is no cure but is my dog going to die soon?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Some lumps are serious and some aren't. Let's see what the Veterinarian has to say. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: His name is ***** ***** he is about six or eight years old
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: Scruffy
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your dog?
Customer: He is in good health
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
7/30/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Altman, Veterinarian replied 3 months ago
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today! Please give me a few moments to type my response to your question!

Luckily if managed dogs can live years with cushing's disease. This diagnosis means that the pituitary is overstimulating cortisol production and the purpose of the medication is to qwell that production. So if it is used effectively it can mean a long healthy life. I am currently treating a dog that was diagnosed at 2 years old and is now 10 I believe and we simply regularly check the levels and adjust if needed.

Just this last time we rechecked an ACTH stimulation test it showed that the medication is working too well so we lowered the dose and he is due to come in and be rechecked soon.

But please know that if treated appropriately with medication it will not effect his lifespan. It's just a matter of checking levels regularly and using preventative measures if the medication is not working well or working too well

I hope this helps quell your fears but please let me know how else I can assist you tonight. I am online another 15 minutes but will return tomorrow morning if I miss you

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

I am glad to see you were able to view my responses earlier

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both

If the information I have provided was helpful I would be grateful if you would rate our chat with the stars at the top of the screen so I am compensated for my time. Thank you and best of luck to you both, truly!

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian