Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

Several things actually. She's a 4 year old yorkie with a

Customer Question

several things actually. She's a 4 year old yorkie with a thick scaly patch on her neck, and today I've just noticed a red inflamed bump at the base of her tail near her anus.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the Yorkie's name?
Customer: bella
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the Yorkie?
Customer: we took her to a dog breeder last month, june 11th to have her bread with a stud. she might be pregnant
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 months ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Can you upload a photo(s) of these areas to our conversation? You can upload photos by using the paperclip or add file icon in the toolbar above your message box (if you can see those icons on your particular device) or you can use an external app such as dropbox.com/

I can be more accurate for you if I can see what you're seeing.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
The photo ending in 345 is the picture of her scaly patch on her neck. It's very think and hard.The picture ending in 532 is the one of her tail/anal area. She's licking it constantly, and it seems very inflamed, and irritated.We took her to a dog breeder in June, so we're not sure if she's pregnant. This would be her first liter. She's roughly 45-47 days into her pregnancy IF she is pregnant. she weighs 4 lbs. We're not noticing any external changes in her body, so we're thinking she didn't take.Thanks, *****

Thank you, ***** ***** me a moment to take a look, please...

Regretfully, the pics are too out of focus to assess accurately. Can you try again, please?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I'll get you be pics here shortly. Thank you. *****

I appreciate it!

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Here are some new pictures. Hopefully they'll be easier to see.Crystal Anderson

Thank you. Give me a moment...

Excellent pics, thank you. These appear to be kerions of the ringworm fungus and so fungal cultures should be performed at your earliest convenience as these fungi are contagious to other pets and you. I'm going to have a friend of mine who is a specialist veterinary pathologist take a look at the pics too. She usually gets back to me within 24 hours and so I'll report what she has to say as soon as I hear from her.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Yikes! Contagious?! I'll get her in tomorrow. Should we be touching her or bathing her? What do I need to do in the mean time?Crystal Anderson

You can make her less contagious by shampooing her in a shampoo that contains 2% ketoconazole, 1% ketoconazole/2% chlorhexidine, or 2% miconazole. These can be found where pet supplies are sold or online. I'll have more information for you later.

This is what the pathologist had to say: "I'd check it with a Wood's lamp, scrape it for parasites and fungi, culture it and then biopsy it if all else fails. Betting on parasites or fungi with the history and age...but you never know. Cool lesion. Would love to know results."

Wood's lamp means a UV light which can make 50% of Microsporum fungal cases fluoresce. There's no evidence of mange mites but fungal culture is indicated. Biopsy shouldn't be needed.

Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ok, I'll send you with the response from my local vet tomorrow. Thank you for your assistance in this.Crystal Anderson

You're welcome, Crystal. I'll watch for your next post.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
The vet said that it was not ringworm, it turned out to be a bacterial infection.Thanks for all your help!Crystal Anderson

Thank you for the update, Crystal. I appreciate your taking the time to let me know. I'll let my friend the pathologist know too.