Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 18 years.
53976849

Are chihuahua had a what looked like a small knot on her

Customer Question

Are chihuahua had a what looked like a small knot on her front paw that she kept licking and now it's an open wound!
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Is the Chihuahua bleeding a lot?
Customer: No not at all
JA: What is the Chihuahua's name and age?
Customer: Shylow and she is 9 years old.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Shylow?
Customer: No
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 2 months ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today! Please give me a few moments to type my response to your question!

So sorry to hear your Chi Shylow has this wound! I can definitely give you recommendations to minimize infection and reduce healing time but if there is continued discharge or it is not healing then please have your vet evaluate the lesion to ensure additional medication is not warranted. The knot might have a foreign body in it, this can be a lick granuloma that requires treatment, or some type of wound

1.) No licking! If this area is reachable then please put a toddler sock on or a cone to prevent her from reaching the area. Licking introduces oral bacteria to the area and can increase risk of inflammation and infection

2.) If she is a long hair trim the hair around the opening to minimize trapping in of the moisture with the hair matting. Please use caution with scissors

3.) Use epsom salt soaks with ten minute contact before rinsing and follow with ivory soap and water or dog oatmeal shampoo to the area twice daily with ten minute contact time before rinsing and tap dry

4.) I prefer to not apply salves or ointments because it traps in moisture to the area and reduces healing or delays healing time. If needed you can put a very thin layer of a triple antibiotic on the area after cleaning

5.) Remove any scabbing that occurs with healing. Again it also traps in moisture and then can actually abscess

6.) Limit activity. The more activity the more likely this wound will take longer to heal because the skin cannot heal in an active setting, particularly on the foot.

7.) If there is licking or rubbing please begin benadryl 1 mg/ pound every 8 hours for reducing the itch but may cause mild sedation.

8.) Rotate warm and cool compresses to the area to draw out any fluid and/ or material in the wound

Please let me know if this information makes sense and any additional questions i can assist with or clarify today.

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

I hope that the information I have provided gives Shylow some relief. Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both

If the information I have provided was helpful I would be grateful if you would rate our chat with the stars at the top of the screen so I am compensated for my time. Thank you and best of luck to you both, truly!

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Altman