Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

I have a toy poodle age 6 who was diagnosed with diabetes

Customer Question

I have a toy poodle age 6 who was diagnosed with diabetes and severe pancreatitis about 3 months ago. She had a clear drop in her energy level, lost 6 pounds, seemed to have balance problems, fur went from very soft to very course, and was drinking a lot. She has been on Augmentin, Flagyl, Minocycline, prednisone, and about 5 units of NPH twice daily. She is been anemic (HCT 20), Thrombocytopenic (PLT 50,000) and severe high WBC. The vet thought she had immune mediated hemolytic anemia that's whe she was started on prednisone. Her WBC went from 40,000 to 67,000. Then went back to 40,000 and now 70,000. All WBC smears have been normal, no fever, no abdominal pain but some abdominal bloating, nothing showed on abdominal X-ray and the visualization on the abdominal ultrasound wasn't clear. Part of the spleen that was visualized was normal but they couldn't see the pancreas well. She is eating ok, but clearly very sick. Our vet is stumped and is referring her to the teaching Vetrenary clinic but we really don't have the money for that. Any thoughts?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Sorry, she was diagnosed 3 weeks ago, not 3 months ago.
Expert:  Dr. Emily replied 2 months ago.

My name is***** and I would like to assist with your concern today. Please ignore the request for the phone call that appears as the website generates this automatically. We can continue talking in the chat format. To start, the white cell count can be deceiving as we see a spike in the white cell count on the blood machine when we have pet's on higher doses of prednsione. That is considered normal, when they are on pred. The pred is stimulating their body to produce red cells and platelets so the white cells increase as well. There is not necessarily an infection present.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Her veterinarian stated she doesn't know what's wrong with her and why she isn't getting better. Her white count was 67,000 before being started on prednisone. Also, the prednisone has not done anything to help her anemia. She can't see Leukemia or an infection, but wants her at UT vet clinic bc she feels there is something she is missing. Started she either has a bleed in her abdomen without the presence of blood in her stool, has a pancreatic abscess, or has some sort of cancer.

Ok, thank you for the clarification. Did your vet do a tick-borne panel? We often see these results with a tick borne disease.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I know she spoke to a friend of hers at UT veterinarian clinic and they thought it was unlikely, but they put her on the Minocycline just in case it was Rickettsial disease.

Well, at this point I do feel it would be best to see a specialist, but I will opt out in case another expert has any other ideas. Thank you.