Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Our 1.5 year old Akita got mixed up in a fight-a pit /lab…

Customer Question
Our 1.5 year old...

Our 1.5 year old Akita got mixed up in a fight-a pit bull/lab mix bit his hind leg-three puncture wounds that we could see. He is able to put weight on the leg, but it is obviously very sore. The wounds stopped bleeding after we had applied some antibiotic cream and bandages, though the bandages didn't stay on as long as I would have liked. Kuma, our Akita, has slept well, not worrying or licking his wounds much. This fight happened about 24 hours ago. We are out at our property, away from home. My question is that just now, we noticed as Kuma walked away from us, that he is getting fluid building around the area near his knee on the bitten leg. Do I need to get him right in to a 24 hour emergency vet, or should I wait and have him seen on Monday?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the Akita?

He is a healthy, 100 pound neutered male, in good shape, good heart rate according to his last vet check/rabies shot. He has been pretty subdued today, which is good because we don't want him bounding around on the injured leg.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
7/29/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Scott Perry, Dog Veterinarian replied 6 months ago
Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Dog Veterinarian

Hello. My name is***** and I am a veterinarian that can answer your question. I understand Kuma was bit on the leg and now there is some fluid building around the wound. You want to know if you need to take Kuma to the veterinarian now or if it can be monitored. Is that a correct summary? Also, if you are able to take a picture of the wound and attach it to this chat box, that would be helpful for me to give you an accurate response. Otherwise, I can still give you an answer. I will be standing by.

Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian