Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

I have two dogs a Doberman M and Weim F The Weim has a bad

Customer Question

I have two dogs a Doberman M and Weim F The Weim has a bad bloated right thigh and I am scared to get a biopsy because if it is cancer it will spread (that is my fear) when cut open. The Doberman was born with Demodicis he has three small lumps on his right side.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Is the Doberman bleeding a lot?
Customer: No our Dobe never bleeds
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the Doberman?
Customer: He as Lymes which he take antibiotics for
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hello?
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 2 months ago.

Hi. My name is***** Sorry no one has helped you out prior to my coming on line now. As far as the female Weim with the swollen right thigh, the best initial thing to have done is a physical exam with your vet and most likely x-rays of that leg. They may also present the recommendation to do some blood work and chest x-rays based on what their initial findings are. As far as biopsy of this area and that causing spread of a cancer, unfortunately if it is cancer, it will follow the spreading principles with or without biopsy of it. A biopsy procedure won't cause it to spread quicker. The swollen leg could be due to cancer but it could also be due to some other pressure on the lymphatic / vascular drainage of that leg.