Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog was licking her paw and after examining it, it looks as though her dew claw has come off, Stella, age 8, Stella, No

Customer Question
She was licking her...

She was licking her paw and after examining it, it looks as though her dew claw has come off

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?

Stella, age 8

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

Stella

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Stella?

No medical conditions, she is healthy! I'm not sure of what to do about her nail.

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
7/29/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Kara, Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

I am sorry to hear that Stella tore his dewclaw nail completely off exposing the quick (meaty part containing the nerves, blood vessels and cells to grow the nail).

I am glad to hear that it is not actively bleeding.

The most important things are to keep her from licking and to protect the nailbed so it doesn't get damaged or dirty and infected.

For now keeping it clean, applying triple antibiotic ointment while it starts to heal, and keeping it bandaged so it doesn't get dirty and infected is best.

In the house there's probably no need to cover it once the nail bed quick dries out and is no longer raw. But if the quick seems to be catching on carpet or collecting debris you can cover the whole paw loosely with a clean sock secured at the top above the nail area with masking tape. Masking tape is great because it's hard to wrap too tightly, thus less chance of cutting off circulation to the foot, and it sticks to fur but not too much, so it is easily removed without tearing out fur. Do make sure it is wrapped securely though so it isn't slipping.

When she goes outdoors make sure to put a plastic baggie over the sock so the foot/quick doesn't get wet.

If her paw gets wet remove the sock and dry it gently.

If you choose to leave a sock on in the house change it daily.

Since she is licking at the quick area then place an elizabethan (lampshade) collar so it doesn't get traumatized or infected.

If you see that her area around the nailbed is swollen, or there is any sort of green or yellow discharge then she needs to see her veterinarian for an examination and further treatment.

To help with skin and nail health in general you might wish to supplement with an omega 3 fatty acid (like 3V Caps or Derm Caps ES). I recommend an omega 3 fatty acid dose based upon the EPA portion (eicosapentanoic acid) of the supplement as if we do that the rest of the supplement will be properly balanced. Give her 20mg of EPA per pound of body weight per day. For example an 18 pound dog could take 360mg of EPA per day.

If she is routinely losing nails or her nails seem very brittle, breaking and splitting easily, this can indicate underlying disease like hypothyroidism or autoimmune disease (body attacks itself) and that should be looked into more closely.

In most cases as long as the nailbed isn't damaged the nail grows back over several weeks.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.