Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

7-year old Yorkshire Terrier. Not fixed. Was erect and

Customer Question
7-year old Yorkshire Terrier...

7-year old Yorkshire Terrier. Not fixed. Was erect and appears to have humped a couch pillow. Dripping some blood. Has not happened before (blood dripping).

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the Yorkshire Terrier?

Didn't eat at all yesterday. Happens every so often. Ate this morning. Just a few minutes ago, was erect and dripping some blood after apparently humping a couch pillow. Never saw blood before. May be superficial.

Veterinarian's Assistant: The Expert will know if the Yorkshire Terrier will be able to digest that. What is the Yorkshire Terrier's name?

Scooter.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the Yorkshire Terrier?

When he hasn't eaten for most or all of the day, the Vet said to give him some hamburger or a chicken with a 1/4 of an antacid pill. Happened yesterday. He ate today, and seemed back to usual. Until the erect penis and blood issue.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
7/29/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

The two main considerations when blood drips from the penis are acute prostatitis and trauma to the penis itself. These conditions can be differentiated by Scooter's vet reflecting the prepuce back and directly visualizing the entire penis for evidence of bruising/bleeding and by rectally and abdominally palpating the prostate gland which if irregularly shaped and/or painful upon palpation diagnoses prostatitis. Trauma might be addressed with a nonsteroidal antiinflammatory and analgesic drug such as carprofen or meloxicam while castration and a couple of weeks of an antibiotic that penetrates well into the prostate gland such as enrofloxacin or trimethoprim sulfa is indicated for acute prostatitis which always is associated with bacterial infection. Antibiotics alone can be effective but need to given for 4-6 weeks and relapses are common. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian