Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

Last weekend my dog had been swimming/playing out back all

Customer Question

hello last weekend my dog had been swimming/playing out back all day and was fine and when i woke up i noticed a bald patch on his head but it was not bleeding
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Using the wrong medication for fleas can be dangerous. You should definitely talk to the Veterinarian. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: it wasnt flea medication
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your dog?
Customer: it is a scab now
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 months ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Only trauma would appear so quickly. It sounds as if the skin were abraded and now is healing with a scab. I recommmend leaving the scab alone. It should eventually fall off leaving normal (albeit bare) skin behind. If the scab loosens and reveals pus underneath it, the scab will need to be removed and the skin lavaged with an over the counter antimicrobial solution such as chlorhexidine (Hibiclens in your local drug store) or Vetericyn solution available where pet supplies are sold. That should suffice to allow normal healing to progress. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.