Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My golden puppy is not standing all of a sudden and at times…

Customer Question
My golden puppy is...

My golden puppy is not standing all of a sudden and at times crying. when we tried to keep in standing posture , it is collapsing .but wagging tail, taking food in recumbent posture.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. The noise must be worrying. I'll connect you to the Veterinarian. What is the Golden's name?

Leo

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Leo?

ears are infected and mild swelling of mandibular lymph nodes. two days back it had temperature and blood check showed positive for E.canis.My vet suggested doxy and prednisolone .but no improvement. to day blood test revealed22000 WBC,Hb 12, RBC 9 PCV 32.My puppy is only 60 days two week back vaccinated with inj. canigen DHP

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
7/30/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 6 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. I'm concerned that coinfections are present. Ehrlichia infection is enough to cause a painful weakness in Leo's joints and lymphadenopathy but ear infections and lymphadenopathy are more typical of juvenile cellulitis (puppy strangles) which is found in Golden puppies of his age at disproprotionate rates. This is treated with a high dose of prednisone (2 mg/kg daily until lesions resolve (approximately 1-4 weeks), then 2 mg/kg every other day for 2-3 weeks, tapering completely over the next few weeks. A secondary bacterial infection is common with puppy strangles and while doxycycline may be effective, it won't work as quickly as will a cephalosporin antibiotic such as cefadroxil or cephalexin and so I recommend that such an antibiotic be added to therapy. Doxycycline is still indicated because of the finding of Ehrlichia. Please note that Ehrlichia should respond quickly (within 2-3 days) to doxycycline. If you didn't see such a positive response, Ehrlichia may not be the primary problem. Other tick-borne infections such as Babesiosis need to be considered particularly in many areas of India. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian