Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

He was throwing up alot he stopped at 530 this morning. He

Customer Question

He was throwing up alot he stopped at 530 this morning. He drinks water not as much as he used to he isn't acting like himself. What do I do
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: He started giving me a hard time eating dog food so I made him cut up small pieces of fully cooked stew meat he has had it before.
JA: What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Petey, I believe he is 10
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: Petey
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Petey?
Customer: I'm not sure I'm just so worried
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

What is he bringing up in his vomit?

Can he keep any water down?

Are his gums pink or white/pale? Moist or sticky?

If you press on his belly, any tensing, tenderness, discomfort, or pain?

Could he have eaten anything harmful (ie bones, toys, plants, chemicals, human meds, etc)?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I dont know why he is vomiting. He is keeping water down. His gums are a pale pink.I have pressed on his belly he didnt have any response. His belly is soft not hard. As far as eating anything bad for him I watch what he eats and when I take him to the park he don't eat anything there
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 months ago.

Hello again,

First, I am glad to see that Petey hasn't those urgent signs I noted, but if his gums are much paler the usual we do need to be careful as that can be a sign of internal bleeding or gut circulatory compromise. Though if the are normal for him, then we'd be more concerned about his signs being due to nausea from a bacterial or viral gastroenteritis, pancreatitis, parasites/protozoa infections, general dietary indiscretion, and harmful ingestion (thankfully less likely)

With this all in mind, we can try some home supportive care to try to settle his stomach since his appetite loss will be due to the nausea just as the vomiting was. To start, you can consider treating him an OTC pet safe antacid [ie Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid), Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac)]. Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption. Of course, do double check with your vet if he has a known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned. Though if he cannot keep it down due to nausea, that is usually a red flag that we need to bypass his mouth with injectable anti-vomiting medication from his vet.

Afterwards, you can consider starting an easily digestible diet like cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (as long as its garlic/onion free). The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset. As long as improvement is being seen, I usually advise continuing this until signs are settled, and then weaning slowly back to your normal diet.

Overall, Petey's signs do raise some concerns here. Therefore, we’d want to start supportive care to settle his stomach. If he cannot keep that or water down at any point, appears dehydrated already, or doesn’t respond to the above within 12-24 hours; then we'd want to get his vet involved. They can assess his hydration, rule out fever, make sure there is nothing in his stomach that shouldn't be there or any sinister viruses present. Depending on their findings, his vet can treat him with injectable anti-vomiting medication +/- antibiotics to settle his stomach, and get him back feeling like himself.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ive made some broiled chicken and white rice should I try that
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 months ago.

That sounds fine, though if he is nauseous start with the antacid first. :)

Best wishes,

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ok got the pepcid do I cut the pill in half or give the whole pill to him
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 months ago.
As noted in the links above, it's weight based. So we give 0.5mg per pound of his weight.
Best wishes,
Dr. B.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. B.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I had to put him to sleep on sunday
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 months ago.

Hello again,

I am very sorry to hear that Petey has passed.

Please take care, my thoughts are with you,

Dr. B.