Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My 50 lb Doberman got into his bottle of apoquel sometime…

Customer Question
My 50 lb Doberman...

My 50 lb Doberman got into his bottle of apoquel sometime between 6 am and noon today. He's eating grass and just vomited. I don't believe he took more than 2-4 pills. He is running and playing. Should I be concerned

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the Doberman eat anything unusual?

No other than possibly a few of the pills

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the Doberman?

And not much vomit

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
7/29/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

Now generally speaking, Apoquel overdoses don't tend to cause long term harm but can certainly upset the gut as you have seen. It can cause vomiting and nausea, but also appetite loss and diarrhea for some dogs. In any case, if he had these a while ago and is already showing signs, then we'd want to use some supportive care at this point. To start, to counter nausea, we can use with an antacid like Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid) or Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac). Whichever you use, we'd give this 20 minutes before food to allow absorption and of course double check with your vet before use if your wee one has any known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned.

If we can get him more settled with that, then we can plan to offer a light diet option. Examples of an easily digestible diet include cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled egg, or meat baby food (as long as its free from garlic or onion powder). Ideally, we want to offer this as small frequent meals to keep the stomach settled. And if we can get him settled over the next 12-24 hours, we're happy. But if the signs persist then we may need the local vet to use fluids and injectable anti-nausea medication to nip this in the bud.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you for your information. He has not had any additional vomiting and his bowel movement was fine. I'm not 100% sure he even took the pills as I have to put it in his food to have him take it. He is playing with toys and his sister so I think he is going to be ok

Hi again,

Good, I am glad he hasn't had any more and is otherwise fine. In that case, again we need only monitor and trear for GI upset should we see anymore.

Have a lovely weekend,

Dr. B.