Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog passed what looks like bloody diarrhea and is

Customer Question
My dog passed what...

My dog passed what looks like bloody diarrhea and is throwing up and it smells as if something died

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did your dog eat anything unusual?

Not that I'm aware of. Yesterday he was knid of lethargic and wouldn't eat anything and had drool running from his mouth

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name and age?

His name is ***** ***** he's about 2/3

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

Zeus

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Zeus?

I don't think so

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
7/29/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 6 months ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

How much blood are you seeing (spoonful, cupful, etc)?

Is the stool itself black or is he just passing blood?

Could he have eaten anything harmful (ie bones, toys, plants, chemicals, human meds, etc)?

Are his gums pink or white/pale? Moist or sticky?

Any retching, gagging, lip licking, drooling, or vomiting?

If you press on his belly, any tensing, tenderness, discomfort, or pain?

Is he up to date on vaccines?

He passed what looks to be more than a cupful and it looks like just blood. He hasn't eaten anything that I'm aware of and his gums appear to be pink. He started retching , gagging and vomiting this morning, but he had been drooling and lip licking since last night. I hadn't checked his belly and he is not up to date on his shots.

Hello again,

Now when we see haemorrhagic diarrhoea like this, we do have a few concerns. The most common reasons are viral infections (ie parvo, distemper, etc), bacterial infections (ie salmonella, campylobacter, etc), toxins, intestinal parasitism (not just the worms, but the protozoa like Giardia orCoccidia), and hemorrhagic gastroenteritis. And I have to warn you that for Zeus to be behind on vaccines at his age at this time of year means Parvo is a real worry here.

So, we do need to be careful here if we cannot soothe his gut. In regards ***** ***** that, provided you are sure he hasn’t ingested anything harmful (since those often require urgent care), then we can consider supportive care at this point. Of course if the bloody stools continue or are severe, then we'd want him seen sooner. Now to start, since he has some nausea signs there, we need to address those first. To do that, you can try Zeus with an OTC pet safe antacid [ie Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid), Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac)]. Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption. Of course, do double check with your vet if he has a known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned. Though if he cannot keep it down due to nausea, that is usually a red flag that we need to bypass his mouth with injectable anti-vomiting medication from his vet.

After put him on small meals of a light like cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish. scrambled eggs (made with water and not milk), or meat baby food (as long as its onion/garlic powder free). There are also vet diets that can be used (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity). The easily digestible diet will be better tolerated, absorbed by the compromised gut and should get some nutrients in and result in less diarrhoea. Fiber (ie canned pumpkin) and OTC probiotics (ie Benebac, Fortiflora) can be added to these meals to firm those loose stools quicker and support digestion. And this can be fed until he is settled and then we'd wean slowly back to your normal diet.

Since diarrhea can quickly dehydrate a dog, we need to keep an eye on his hydration. To make sure he's not getting dehydrated there are a few things we can test. One is whether his eyes appear sunken, if his gums are tacky instead of wet/moist, and whether he has a "skin tent" when you lift the skin. To see how to check these parameters for dehydration, you can find a wee video on this HERE. ((http://www.ehow.com/video_12232503_dog-dehydrated.html) If you are seeing any signs of dehydration already, then you do want to have him seen by his vet before this becomes an additional issue for him.
If you are concerned that Zeus is become dehydrated, you can offer water, low sodium chicken broth, or Pedialyte. If he won't drink, we can gently syringe feed these at a dose of 48 milliliters per kilogram of body weight per day. On top of that, since this won't take into account diarrhea losses, we'd add this to that daily total. Of course, i he vomits when this is given, we would stop syringing (since we don’t want him vomiting because of our intervention).

Just to note, while it may be tempting to use anti-diarrheals here, this wouldn't be a diarrhea type to do so. The reason is because if this is caused by the aforementioned viruses or bacteria, slowing these feces can actually make them feel worse (as the virus can get a better "hold" in the gut and some bacteria secrete toxic substances that the body is trying to flush out with diarrhea). Therefore, light diets and keep Zeus hydrated are key here.

Overall, we need to tread with care for your lad. So, we can start the above now but if those signs linger or are severe; then we'd want his local vet involved. They will be able to assess him, test a stool sample for the above, and start broad spectrum antibiotics +/- fluids and symptomatic care to help settle this for him.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian