Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Dog weighs 71lbs and has a urinary tract infection. she was prescribed Baytril 1 1/2 tablets per day, also Amoxi with

Customer Question
She weighs 71lbs and...

She weighs 71lbs and has a urinary tract infection. she was prescribed Baytril 1 1/2 tablets per day, also Amoxi with Clav Potassium 1/2 tablet twicw a day. she just seems very weak, no energy. she is eating and drinking plenty of water but I am concerned. could these antibotics be too much for her?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the dog. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?

She is almost 12 years old.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
7/29/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 6 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

Both of those antibiotics can cause gastrointestinal distress in the form of inappetence, vomiting and/or diarrhea but weakness isn't expected. Can you tell me, please, if blood work were performed - in particular, to see if her kidneys were involved in her urinary tract infection?

blood work was done and they mentioned her white blood cell count was up but nothing out of the ordinary. Doctor mentioned her kidneys seemed fine, that was a concern of mine also due to her age but was ruled out.

Thank goodness. It's not unreasonable to stop administration of those antibiotics for 24 hours and see how she responds. In most cases adverse side effects from them abate within 24 hours after discontinuation. If you see a positive response, it would be prudent to continue not giving them until you can consult with her vet on Monday. If you didn't see a positive response, something else is going on. Please continue our conversation if you wish. I regret that my state board of veterinary examiners doesn't allow me to speak to customers by phone in this venue but other experts in this category may be able to assist you in this regard. Please let me know if you'd like another expert to do so and I'll opt out of this conversation. Please stay in the conversation if you wish.

ok, thank you, ***** ***** just stop the dosage to see how she reacts, it just doesn't seem right, the way she is acting.

You're quite welcome. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian