Dr. Emily
Dr. Emily, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Associate veterinarian at a small animal clinic
77376308

How much does this service cost? That is a very random

Customer Question

How much does this service cost?
JA: It can cost anywhere from $10 to $100, depending on the type of issue and how much of the Veterinarian's time your question is expected to take (how complex and lengthy an answer you require).
Customer: That is a very random response with a huge differential in price. I have a simple question and I want a definitive price before proceeding.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with the dog?
Customer: My wife bought my new pup (8 months old lab mix) a big bone from the store. I think she is having trouble passing it. All shots are current. We just adopted her from a local animal shelter.
JA: Where does the dog seem to hurt?
Customer: I want to know if there is a laxative or something we can giver her. She does not want her food. She will drink water. I have seen a bit of vomiting and diarrhea with grass in it. She is not her playful self at all.
JA: Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: A bone.
JA: What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Holly. 8 month old lab mix. Female.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Holly?
Customer: She is recently adopted from an animal shelter, has all shots, tested negative for heartworm, parvo etc.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Emily replied 2 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** and I would like to assist with your concern today. A laxative is likely not going to help pass the bone since she is having diarrhea. Laxative softens stool that is overly hard but if already having diarrhea, then it likely will not help. Instead, I would offer a bland diet.

The bland diet can be cooked at home with bland, white chicken breast with NO SEASONING or lean cooked ground beef NO SEASONING and plain white rice. You can also use a prescription bland diet such and I/D, W/D or Royal canin gastrointestinal formula. I recommend small, frequent meals, to get the GI tract back on track. Do not continue to feed more food too quickly as this can cause a setback. Once the diarrhea is resolved, you can slowly mix in more of the dog food and mix out some of the rice mixture. This transition needs to be over a few days so we can watch for diarrhea to return.

Sometimes diet is enough to help but other times pets need a medication called metronidazole or metronidazole and amoxicillin to stop the bloody diarrhea. This needs to be prescribe from a veterinarian.

If further signs develop such as further vomiting or no appetite, further tests need to be completed to be sure something more severe is not going on, such as pancreatitis from eating the bone or a piece of the bone stuck in the GI tract. At this stage it does not sound like it is stuck, but is causing upset GI track.

Let me know when you return so we can discuss this further.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Emily