Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

12 year old Russel - going blind and has allergy issues with…

Customer Question
12 year old Jack...

12 year old Jack Russel - going blind and has allergy issues with grass. Also has had ear mites - am using trizultra + keto now seems to be loisng hearing. Am treating the allergy (redness on her belly and continuous itching - with apoquel 5.4 mg every 24 hours. seems to be mildly affecting the itching - double the dosage and affects her bowel movenemts - making runny. Need to see if the trizultra is affecting her hearing? almost blind - probably nothing short of getting expensive cataract replacements. Any help-advise be welcome - her weight is about right certinaly not fat

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know what to do. What is the jack's name?

Beanie

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the jack?

Very healty otherwise.

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
7/29/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Emily, Dog Veterinarian replied 9 months ago
Dr. Emily
Dr. Emily, Dog Veterinarian

My name is***** and I would like to assist with your concern today. Please ignore the request for the phone call that appears as the website generates this automatically. We can continue talking in the chat format. The Triz-Ultra will not be affecting her hearing if you are using this to clean out her ears versus dumping it directly into the ear canals. I typically place this cleaner on cotton balls and wipe out all the debris that is visible. However, this cleaner treats bacteria and yeast but will not kill ear mites. A specific ear mite treatment or the topical product called Revolution is needed to kill the ear mites. Please let me know when you return so we can discuss this further.

How about Ketoseb??

Ketoseb is not quite as strong as Triz Ultra so it may not do as good of a job on treating an infection, but if used to clean the outside of the ears, it also would not cause hearing loss.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Emily
Dr. Emily
Dr. Emily
Dr. Emily, Dog Veterinarian