Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My 3 yr old lab, 70#, threw up 3 times this morning and we…

Customer Question
My 3 yr old...

My 3 yr old lab, 70#, threw up 3 times this morning and we suspect that she might have eaten some peaches that fell off our tree (we just went and cut it down and removed all debris). What should we be doing for her now?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?

Stella

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?

She normally has a sensitive stomach

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
7/29/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 9 months ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

What does her vomit look like?

Can she keep water down?

Are her gums pink or white/pale? Moist or sticky?

If you press on her belly, any tensing, tenderness, discomfort, or pain?

Any diarrhea, black stool, or straining to go?

Vomit looked a little brownish/yellowish. More matching her food color with some blades of grass in it. She ate a little breakfast and threw that up, and has not been interested in water since vomiting. Her gums look normal in color and moisture. She is not reacting adversely to pressure on her belly. No diarrhea at this point. She is laying around instead of her usual running around. More interested in resting than playing.

Hello again,

Now in situations like this, we do always need to tread with care. Especially as peach pits can irritate the gut but also are often a perfect size to get caught.

With this in mind and since Stella hasn't those more severe signs I asked about, we can start supportive care. To start, to counter her nausea and settle her stomach, you can consider treating her with a OTC pet safe antacid. [ie Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid), Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac), Tagamet (More Info/Dose Here @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/cimetidine-hcl-tagamet)]. Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before food to allow absorption. Of course, do double check with your vet if she has a known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned. Though if you give this and she cannot keep it down due to nausea that is usually a red flag that we need to bypass her mouth with injectable anti-vomiting medication from her vet.

After, we'd want to feed small meals of a light diet. Examples of an easily digestible diet include cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled egg, or meat baby food (as long as its free from garlic or onion powder). Whichever you choose to offer Stella, you can add some fiber (ie a spoonful of tinned pumpkin or all bran) to the food to bulk up her stool and push any pits through the intestines. As well, you can also add a dose of a GI lubricant (ie cat hairball medication Miralax, lactulose or food grade mineral oil). These can be beneficial for getting them slipping through the gut. Though do be aware that when using the lubricants, we can see self limiting runny stools, but that tends to settle once we are finished using it.

While doing this, we do need to keep a close eye on her. Red flags of trouble or obstruction include restlessness, lethargy, vomiting with blood or coffee ground type material, inability to keep any food or water down, anorexia, pale gums, straining to pass feces or passage of black feces (digested blood). If you see these signs, then having her seen would be best for her vet to have a feel of her belly +/- an xray to see where everything is and whether it will pass on its own.

Overall, situations like these always require us to be on our toes and tread with care. Since she has been vomiting we do have to be aware that we may have a blockage or at least gut irritation from the pits of the peaches. Still as she hasn't those more worrisome ones, we can try the above for Stella just now while keeping a close eye. But if you see any of those other signs, then having her examined +/- xrayed would be ideal so you can appreciate whether there is any risk. But otherwise we'd hope to use the above to push any pits present through and out the other end over the next 48 hours.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian