Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Dog stopped eating and drinking since yesterday. Winnie, she is 8 years old, a springer spaniel, winnie, She has been on

Customer Question
She stopped eating and...

She stopped eating and drinking since yesterday.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?

Winnie, she is 8 years old, a springer spaniel

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the springer spaniel's name?

Winnie

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Winnie?

She has been on a special diet of non allergenic food

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
7/29/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 6 months ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

How long has she been showing signs?

Any retching, gagging, lip licking, drooling, or vomiting?

Any change to her breathing?

Are her gums pink or white/pale? Moist or sticky?

If you press on her belly, any tensing, tenderness, discomfort, or pain?

Could she have eaten anything harmful (ie bones, toys, plants, chemicals, human meds, etc)?

Any diarrhea?

Signs are since yesterday, no signs of distress, no wrenching or vomiting. She seems normal except that she will not eat anything or drink water. We recently moved to the coast one week ago, we walk on the beach daily. She has been biting kelp balls on the beach and digging in the sand lately. maybe she ate something off of the beach? What should we do? I got her to lick a bit of water from my cupped hands thin morning. Would not eat her soft or hard food or eat cooked chicken.
no diarrhea, gums look pink, nose is dry, no stomach sensitivity when touched.

Hello again,

Now I am glad to hear that she isn't vomiting but to see appetite loss and refusal to drink with her signs does raise suspicions of underlying nausea. This can be caused by bacterial or viral gastroenteritis, pancreatitis, or could be related to a blockage from sand or irritation to the kelp in her gut.

With this all in mind, we can try some home supportive care to try to settle her stomach. To start, we can try to address any nausea with an OTC pet safe antacid. [ie Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid), Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac), Tagamet (More Info/Dose Here @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/cimetidine-hcl-tagamet)]. Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before food to allow absorption. Of course, do double check with your vet if she has a known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned.

Afterwards, you can consider tempting her to eat again. Further to this chicken, white rice with boiled white fish, cottage cheese, scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (as long as its garlic/onion free). Or if she cannot be tempted, then we can offer or syringe feed watered down canned puppy food, Hill's A/D, Royal Canin Recovery, or Clinicare Canine/Feline Liquid Diet. All of these are critical care diets that are calorically dense, so a little goes a long way nutrition-wise. Fiber (ie canned pumpkin) and OTC probiotics (ie Benebac, Fortiflora) can be added to these meals to try to push any sand through the gut quicker and support digestion. Also her lack of active vomiting also means we can push fluids. You can try water or Pedialyte and aim for 48ml per kilogram of her weight each day.

Overall, her signs do raise a few concerns from both the environment and from infections that she'd be more at risk of with the stress of moving and also the new area. Therefore, we’d want to start supportive care to settle her stomach. If she doesn’t respond to the above within 12-24 hours or develops any of those urgent signs I asked about; then we'd want to get a local vet involved. If you don't have one yet, I'd note you can check at http://www.vetlocator.com/ or https://www.veccs.org/facility-directory/ if need be. They can assess her hydration, rule out fever, make sure there is nothing in her stomach that shouldn't be there or any sinister viruses present. Depending on their findings, her vet can treat her with injectable anti-nausea medication, appetite stimulants +/- antibiotics to get her back feeling like herself.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian