Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog is 16 and he was chewing on his paws which I

Customer Question
My dog is 16...

My dog is 16 and he was chewing on his paws which I attributed to allergies because he has them on and off throughout the year, but the past two days when he gets up after sitting/sleeping for a while he walks with his back feet dragging for one to two minutes.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help your dog. What is the dog's name?

Coonie.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your dog?

Around May he suffered from pancreatitis, but after his medication round was fine.

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
7/29/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry to hear of this with Coonie. There are two considerations when temporary back feet dragging is seen. The first is musculoskeletal pain is making it difficult to lift his legs into the proper position and he then "warms out of it" which is consistent with osteoarthritis in a 16 year old. The second is a loss of conscious proprioception (knowing where one's limbs are in space). Such a loss occurs with myelopathies (spinal cord disorders) such as degenerative disk disease, degenerative myelopathy (a Lou Gehrig type of neuropathy), fibrocartilaginous embolism (an interruption in the vascular supply to the spinal cord), or perhaps a tumor in or around the spinal cord. Practically speaking, we can treat pain and inflammation of osteoarthritis and which can compress the spinal cord with a nonsteroidal antiinflammatory drug (NSAID) such as carprofen, meloxicam, or grapiprant which are available through Coonie's vet. X-rays and surgical intervention aren't considerations at his advanced age. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?