Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I have a chihuahua and his stomach is gurgling pretty loudly…

Customer Question
I have a chihuahua...

I have a chihuahua and his stomach is gurgling pretty loudly and he is very restless.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the Chihuahua's name and age?

Prince and he is 8 years old

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Prince?

He also is licking is lips

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
7/29/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

How long has he been showing signs?

Any gagging, drooling, vomiting or diarrhea?

Are his gums pink or white/pale? Moist or sticky?

If you press on his belly, any tensing, tenderness, discomfort, or pain?

Could he have eaten anything harmful (ie bones, toys, plants, chemicals, human meds, etc)?

He has acted "anxious" one other time. He usually goes in a kennel at night and around the same time as today he just wanted out, and couldn't settle. He has seemed fine since then, but for this instance it just started tonight. No diarrhea, vomiting or gagging. He seems to tense a little when I touch his stomach. Yes his gums are pink and moist.

Hello again,

Now with the signs Prince is showing, they suggest gut upset and nausea even without vomiting. The lip licking, gurgling and bit of stomach tensing can be features of mild bacterial or viral gastroenteritis, pancreatitis, stomach ulcers, parasites/protozoa infections or dietary indiscretion.

With this all in mind, we can try some home supportive care to try to settle his stomach. To start, you can counter the gurgling and suspect nausea with an OTC pet safe antacid [ie Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid), Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac),Tagamet (More Info/Dose Here @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/cimetidine-hcl-tagamet)]. Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption. Of course, do double check with your vet if he has a known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned.

Afterwards, you can try Prince with an easily digestible diet like cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (as long as its garlic/onion free). The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset. As long as improvement is being seen, I usually advise continuing this until signs are settled, and then weaning slowly back to your normal diet.

Overall, his signs do raise some concerns here. Therefore, we’d want to start supportive care to settle his stomach. If he doesn’t respond to the above within 12-24 hours or his stomach became sore (a sign of possible blockage); then we'd want to get his vet involved. They can assess him and treat with injectable anti-nausea medication, gastroprotectants, +/- antibiotics to get him back feeling like himself.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

Hi Ashly,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian