Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Yesterday morning around 7:00am I went to let mg dogs out. I…

Customer Question
Hi yesterday morning around...

Hi yesterday morning around 7:00am I went to let mg dogs out. I had to carry the one because she doesn't do well with steps. As I went to put her down outside the mini schnauzer came running underneath me as I went to put my foot down and I stepped on her bac. She yelped but seemed ok. She played, ate,and walked all day as she usually did so I thought she was ok. But a couple of hours ago she seemed to be moving a little slower. Still can walk but she seemed to be sore some. I feel so bad, I hope I didn't damage her back badly.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the Schnauzer?

Not that I can think of. She was whimpering or making any boise as if she was in pain. She let my wife pick her up and didn't seem to bother her.

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
7/29/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

Now as long as she can move her back legs and walk normally with them, we'd be less worried about spinal inflammation or damage. That said, she likely has some bruising and muscle strain with this (which doesn't tend to show right away since their adrenaline masks it until that wears off). In this case, we'd just want to rest her (no stairs, no jumping on/off furniture, etc) and can warm compress her back to reduce soft tissue inflammation/discomfort for her. If you do not have a warm compress at home, you can make one by filling a sock 2/3rds full of uncooked rice. This can be microwaved for a minute or so until warm. Shake it to distribute the heat (and do check its not too warm). This can be rewarmed as needed. Furthermore, if her signs don't settle over the next 6-8 hours, it'd be ideal to have her seen by her vet so a dog safe pain relief (ie Metacam, Onsior, Tramadol, Previcox, Rimadyl, etc) can be dispensed since we cannot use OTC human ones ( most are toxic but even Aspirin has to avoided her since it can thin blood and make bruising worse) for her. But with one of those pet safe options, we'd be able to reduce her discomfort sooner and get her settled.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**