Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog fell down a few steep stairs and I am concerned that…

Customer Question
My dog fell down...

My dog fell down a few steep stairs and I am concerned that he might have a concussion. What should I do?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with your dog?

At first he was crying but he isn't any more. His head was drooping to the side momentarily but now seems ok. He vomited about 20 minutes afterwards. Now he seems tired and is panting intermittently and drooling a little.

Veterinarian's Assistant: This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your dog?

He's a small (10 lb.) Maltipoo.

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
7/29/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How is he just now?

Any more vomiting? Can he keep food/water down now?

If you feel up and down the body, any swellings, tender spots, bruising, or bony crunching?

Any discomfort when you flex and extend each joint?

Are his gums pink or pale/white?

Can you take a breathing rate for me (just count his breaths for 10 seconds + multiply by 6)?