Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Its my fathers dog and my dad just passed away wed, he is…

Customer Question
Its my fathers dog...

Its my fathers dog and my dad just passed away wed

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the dog?

He is having really bad diarrhea and i gabe him pepto 4 hrs ago

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does the dog seem to hurt?

He is 12 and is a airedale it is coming out like squirting and i can tell he is hurting

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the Airedale's name?

Tucker

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Tucker?

He take meda for thyroid

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Also have bentyl on hand
7/29/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 9 months ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but wanted to touch base with you about Tucker.

Now if he has severe diarrhea, we need to be careful since a lack of response to the Pepto suggests this isn't just benign gut upset. Instead, we'd be wary of a bacterial or viral gastroenteritis, pancreatitis, parasites/protozoa infections, general dietary indiscretion, and harmful ingestion (ie toxins, plants, non-edible items --a concern if he has belly pain).

With this in mind, as Pepto can upset the stomach, consider switching to Kaolin/Kaopectate (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/kaolin-and-pectin-kapectolin-k-p)). This is available OTC at most pharmacies. Otherwise, Propectalin, Canikur, Fast Balance, and Protexin Pro-Fiber (all OTC at vets, pet stores, and even Amazon) would be another option. All will slow diarrhea and those last ones have the added bonus of providing support to the delicate good GI bacteria. And just to note, avoid the Bentyl as its not often used in dogs and we don't want to interfere with his other health issues.

As you do so, you can also put him on an easily digestible diet like cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (as long as its garlic/onion free). There are also OTC vet diets that can be used (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity) too. The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset/diarrhea. Fiber (ie canned pumpkin) and OTC probiotics (ie Benebac, Fortiflora) can also be added to these meals to firm those loose stools quicker and support digestion.

Overall, Tucker's signs do raise some concerns here. Therefore, we’d want to start supportive care to settle his stomach. If he doesn’t respond to the above within 12-24 hours; then we'd want to get his vet involved. They can assess his hydration, test a stool sample, make sure there is nothing in his stomach that shouldn't be there or any sinister viruses present. Depending on their findings, his vet can treat him with fluids and antibiotics to get him back feeling like himself.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 8 months ago

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian