Dr. Emily
Dr. Emily, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Associate veterinarian at a small animal clinic
77376308

My dog was bitten by a skink and I am unsure when her last

Customer Question

Hello my dog was bitten by a skink and I am unsure when her last vaccination was and am wondering fi I should take her to the emergency vet or if she can wait until tomorrow when I can contact my vet to she if she is up to date
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Is your dog bleeding a lot?
Customer: no not really bleeding but has scrap like wounds on her cheek and above her eye
JA: What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: the are visible cuts
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your dog?
Customer: Stella and she is 5
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Emily replied 2 months ago.

My name is***** and I would like to assist with your concern tonight. The main concern with any animal bite is the transfer of infection and an abscess occurring. This is not likely to occur overnight though so seeing your vet in the AM would be appropriate.

It is highly unlikely for a skink to carry rabies and other diseases would not be able to be transferred via bite.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Emily