Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog was bitten by a skink and I am unsure when her last…

Customer Question
Hello my dog was...

Hello my dog was bitten by a skink and I am unsure when her last vaccination was and am wondering fi I should take her to the emergency vet or if she can wait until tomorrow when I can contact my vet to she if she is up to date

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Is your dog bleeding a lot?

No not really bleeding but has scrap like wounds on her cheek and above her eye

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name and age?

The are visible cuts

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your dog?

Stella and she is 5

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
7/29/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Emily, Dog Veterinarian replied 11 months ago
Dr. Emily
Dr. Emily, Dog Veterinarian

My name is***** and I would like to assist with your concern tonight. The main concern with any animal bite is the transfer of infection and an abscess occurring. This is not likely to occur overnight though so seeing your vet in the AM would be appropriate.

It is highly unlikely for a skink to carry rabies and other diseases would not be able to be transferred via bite.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Emily