Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog ate 3-4 grapes and I just found out that they can be

Customer Question
dangerous. He's a shihtzu, but...
My dog ate 3-4 grapes and I just found out that they can be dangerous. He's a shihtzu, but he seems to be fine and isn't lethargic or acting funny. I had him drink water and his normal kibble just now, but I'm just worried. He's almost 4 years old
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know if your dog will be able to digest that. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your dog?
Customer: No that's it.
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
7/29/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Altman, Veterinarian replied 3 months ago
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today! Please give me a few moments to type my response to your question!

Luckily it takes numerous grapes even for the tiniest dogs to see any signs of illness or kidney changes so if your dog is >10-15 pounds (or even less) then there shouldn't be any issues.

At this time, the lowest documented toxic grape or raisin dose is 0.32 to 0.65 oz/kg (32 g/kg or 1.1 oz/ kg) and one grape averages about 2 ounces. As with any ingestions please monitor for lethargy, reduced appetite, vomiting, diarrhea as a precaution and if seen have your veterinarian evaluate your pet. If it has been more than an hour then it would be too late to try to remove it from his system so simply monitoring for these symptoms would be advised

Please let me know if I can assist with any additional questions today, I am online another 15 minutes tonight

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

I am glad to see you were able to view my responses

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today, I will be signing off in just a moment

Good evening, I wanted to check in on your dog to ensure there were no issues with the grapes? I would love an update when you are able

If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept with the stars on the top of your screen so I may be compensated for my time. If you are having any difficulties you can also state your rating (excellent, good, fair) in our chat as an alternative. Thank you!

Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian