Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

I think he got a foxtail stuck in his nose he is sneezing

Customer Question

I think he got a foxtail stuck in his nose he is sneezing constantly and it was bleeding earlier
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know what to do about this bleeding. I'll connect you ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?
Customer: He is a Boston terrier so he has an extremely short snout
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 months ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

Yes, you've described a foxtail that has found its way into his nasal passage. It needs to be removed under light anesthesia at your earliest convenience lest it lodges in the nasal mucosa and abscesses. An on-call vet can remove it with a pair of alligator forceps. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I have a vet appointment for vaccines tomorrow morning, should I wait for that or go to the emergency clinic tonight?

The ER. He's not going to stop sneezing and he'll sneeze blood all over until the foxtail is removed. These often continue to migrate deeper into the nasal passage where it becomes harder to find and remove. They very rarely can be sneezed out. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?