Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

My dog weighs 18 lbs how much of a buffered asprin should I

Customer Question

Hi Pearl, My dog weighs 18 lbs how much of a buffered asprin should I give him?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with your dog?
Customer: He's old and in some pain and discomfort
JA: What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: His name is ***** ***** he is 17
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Max?
Customer: He has lymes disease
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 2 months ago.

Hi,I'm Dr Scott. Welcome to JustAnswer, I am working on your question now, you can expect a written reply sometime within the next ten minutes or so.

Hello again,

Sorry to hear Max is uncomfortable, however I have worked out an answer for you below.

1. Aspirin is sometimes prescribed for dogs for pain relief and is regarded as safe as compared to the vast majority of the other over the counter human pain killers / anti-inflammatory meds. Many people use plain aspirin in the dog without problem because it will normally only be used for a few days so any side effects would be very unlikely. Buffered aspirin is fine, but avoid enteric-coated aspirin as the the coating can decrease the absorption of aspirin from the intestines in dogs.

2. A typical dose rate for aspirin in the dog would be 5 mg per pound of your dog's body weight given twice daily, this works out as { 18 pounds X 5 mg = 90 mg } in your case. The judgement whether to dose with aspirin is of course up to you but here is a link to an accurate web page with all the facts you might need including contraindications : LINK

3. But in any case I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if Max's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how Max is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the use of aspirin ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?