Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My 2 year old dog had puppies 9 days ago, all healthy and…

Customer Question
My 2 year old...

My 2 year old dog had puppies 9 days ago, all healthy and eating. The mom keeps walking around with the toy in her mouth that she used at first heat (didn't mate) is this a concern

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?

No she doesn't leave the yard or house wash her down every night

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?

No very active Siberian is being kept in dark quite room no contact with the male, had easy deliveries every 20 min

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
7/29/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Scott Perry, Dog Veterinarian replied 11 months ago
Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Dog Veterinarian

Hello. My name is***** and I am a veterinarian that can answer your question. I understand your female dog had pups successfully 9 days ago and is now walking with a toy in her mouth. Is that a correct summary?

it her favorite toy, you carried it around with her everywhere after her first heat, when she went in whelping box before delivering she brought in there, she holds it and carries it around crying. the puppies are all eating and progressing but as soon as they sleep she's frantic with the toy. I took it away out of box not sure if I should or not

Dogs that have recently whelped will be biologically programmed to nurse, which is an understandable process that cares for the pups. Sometimes that instinct redirects to an inanimate object such as a toy or blanket. It is recommended to remove the toy and see how she adapts, which is what you did. If the behavior does not resolve then the toy can be substituted with something different that she has not shown an attachment. Then that object is removed at a later date. The goal is to switch the object to something she is not redirected to nurse or care for. The drive for this behavior is strongest when she is nursing, so it will likely stop when the pups fully wean in 4-6 weeks.

Please let me know if you have any other questions. If you have no other questions, I would greatly appreciate a positive review. You may leave up to 5 stars when ready. Your review helps connect Experts with other customers, so your input is highly appreciated. Thank you!

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Scott Perry