How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Peter Your Own Question
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Category: Dog Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 31091
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683
Type Your Dog Veterinary Question Here...
Dr. Peter is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Ed a small battery, right now she seems ok but she may have

Customer Question

ed a small battery
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the dog?
Customer: right now she seems ok but she may have swallowed a AA battery. she weighs 40 lbs
JA: The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Sugar Bear (golden doodle) age 11 months.
JA: What is the Golden's name?
Customer: Sugar Bear
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the Golden?
Customer: She's in excellent health
Submitted: 2 months ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 months ago.

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply ASAP.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 months ago.

1- Do you know if she chewed the battery or swallowed it whole?

2- How long has it been since she swallowed the battery?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
She may have chewed on it. It's been about an hr and a half
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 months ago.

Please give me 5-10 minutes to type your answer. Thank you.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 months ago.

Friend, the ingestion of a battery brings two concern:

1- The acid causing damage to the gastrointestinal and if they vomit inhaling the acid into the lungs.

2- The possibility of an obstruction by the battery.

This is what you can do:

1- Do Not make her vomit.

2- Give her some milk; the milk will dilute the acid and hopefully prevent any damage to the wall of the gastrointestinal tract

3- Change her diet for the next 2-3 days to rice (75%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef. The idea is for the rice to help pass the battery in the feces. Make sure you check her feces; if she does not pass the battery in the next 48 hours I would have her checked by your vet for x-rays.

4- If during the next few days you see the following symptoms: lethargy, anorexia, vomiting, constipated or diarrhea, etc. follow up immediately with a veterinarian. These are all signs of a possible obstruction of the intestinal tract. In the meantime, observe her and change her diet as above then wean her back into her regular diet.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service. If you have any follow-up questions don't hesitate to ask. If finished, please take a moment to rate my service. See you again soon!

Dr. Peter

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 months ago.
Hi,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Peter