Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

Ed a small battery, right now she seems ok but she may have

Customer Question

ed a small battery
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the dog?
Customer: right now she seems ok but she may have swallowed a AA battery. she weighs 40 lbs
JA: The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Sugar Bear (golden doodle) age 11 months.
JA: What is the Golden's name?
Customer: Sugar Bear
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the Golden?
Customer: She's in excellent health
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 months ago.

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply ASAP.

1- Do you know if she chewed the battery or swallowed it whole?

2- How long has it been since she swallowed the battery?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
She may have chewed on it. It's been about an hr and a half

Please give me 5-10 minutes to type your answer. Thank you.

Friend, the ingestion of a battery brings two concern:

1- The acid causing damage to the gastrointestinal and if they vomit inhaling the acid into the lungs.

2- The possibility of an obstruction by the battery.

This is what you can do:

1- Do Not make her vomit.

2- Give her some milk; the milk will dilute the acid and hopefully prevent any damage to the wall of the gastrointestinal tract

3- Change her diet for the next 2-3 days to rice (75%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef. The idea is for the rice to help pass the battery in the feces. Make sure you check her feces; if she does not pass the battery in the next 48 hours I would have her checked by your vet for x-rays.

4- If during the next few days you see the following symptoms: lethargy, anorexia, vomiting, constipated or diarrhea, etc. follow up immediately with a veterinarian. These are all signs of a possible obstruction of the intestinal tract. In the meantime, observe her and change her diet as above then wean her back into her regular diet.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service. If you have any follow-up questions don't hesitate to ask. If finished, please take a moment to rate my service. See you again soon!

Dr. Peter

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Peter