Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Our labrador is almost 1 year. She still has issues of

Customer Question
urinating in the house, especially...
Our labrador is almost 1 year. She still has issues of urinating in the house, especially right after she drinks water. I do not give her any water after 9pm and she makes it fine through the night. I have had her urine checked when she was younger - no UTI's. She was spayed at 7 months. Also, when she goes outside she pees two, three, or four times in a row -- I thought that she might outgrow this but she has not. When I have asked our vets about possible medical causes, they insist that it is behavioral. I have been a dog owner all my life and never have seen this problem, or have had such a hard time housebreaking. Our dog also seems to produce a lot of urine relative to her water intake. Would appreciate any suggestions or insights.
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
7/29/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Emily, Dog Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
Dr. Emily
Dr. Emily, Dog Veterinarian

My name is***** and I would like to assist with your concern tonight. I'm glad you are looking into this further because there are a few medical issues that do cause the signs you are seeing. You are right to question about a UTI. Even though she was checked for one when she was younger, I would look into this further at this time. Sampling urine and looking under the microscope is the first line when looking for a UTI but it would also be valuable (and more accurate) to have a sterile sample taken and submitted for culture. That would rule out infection 100%. Other medication conditions can cause urination signs as well, but they would be much less common in a younger dog. If the urine is normal, assessing blood work for changes in her kidneys, liver values, blood sugar and electrolytes would be the next steps.

Behavioral issues also can occur, but they are the "diagnosis of exclusion," meaning we need to rule everything else out first.

Dr. Emily
Dr. Emily
Dr. Emily, Dog Veterinarian