Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My 7 year Komondor was prescribed gabapentin and Previcox…

My 7 year Komondor was...
My 7 year Komondor was prescribed gabapentin and Previcox after he hurt his hip while running after a rabbit. He was on prednisone previously. Today I gave him gabapentin and prednisone by accident. I got the bottles mixed up. I read not to give steriods and Previcox together. Should I wait to give the Previcox for several days?
7/28/2017
Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help with this concern about your dog's medication.

As you so correctly stated, steroids and nsaid medication shouldn't be given concurrently since the risk of gastric ulceration is increased if you do.

However, if you only gave him one dose of pred instead of Previcox, there shouldn't be a problem.

You don't need to worry about the wash out period of a few days as is recommended for patients who have been taking an nsaid for several days (or longer) and who are then being transitioned to steroids (or vice versa).

I'd restart his Previcox tomorrow if he were my patient although if you wanted to be really safe, then skip one day before restarting it.

I hope this helps, Deb

MY husband took him to the vet so what is the gabapentin for?

Gabapentin is a human drug which can be used in dogs (and cats) for pain. It typically works best for pain associated with nerve issues but many vets use it for pain of any sort.

Nsaids also have anti-pain properties but they aren't as strong as drugs such as Gabapentin or Tramadol (another human anti-pain medication which can be given to dogs)

Deb

the steriods and gabapentin will be ok today? I won't do it again but just want to make sure he is safe. He is just lying on sofa after chewing on a chew bone. He is panting.

Steroids and gabapentin can be given together so there shouldn't be any issues.

One "mistaken" dose of pred really shouldn't pose any significant issue for him even if he was given Previcox yesterday.

Deb

Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian