Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

He has a spot of bare skin that peeled after using hydrogen…

Customer Question
He has a spot...

He has a spot of bare skin that peeled after using hydrogen peroxide and is now slightly bleeding.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What sort of animal are we talking about?

He is a 7 month boxer.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
7/28/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Peter, Veterinarian replied 6 months ago
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I can answer your question here on the chat, but, I won't be able to call you. Or, if you want I can opt out so you can wait for another expert to call you. Please let me know.

Can you see the picture?

Has he been licking the area?

Yes, I saw the picture, thank you. But, it is too far away and can't really see much. Can you take another picture a little closer and less blurry?

Yes, much better. Thank you.

Is he licking the area?

Not really. A little after doing the hydrogen peroxide.

How long has this been going on?

The area started losing hair and a little swollen about 3-4 days ago.

Please give me 5-10 minutes to type your answer. Thank you.

Just put the hydrogen peroxide and the area peeled away. Also tried making a aspirin paste after that.
It feels like a little hard bump

Friend, the skin is ulcerated. It is possible that the peroxide and aspirin have irritated/ulcerated the tissue. The initial dry patch was likely a localized infection. Discontinue the use of peroxide and aspirin. Instead, this is what you can do:

1- Do not let him lick the area if he does pick up an E collar (cone) in your local pet store to stop him from licking/gnawing the affected area.

2- Pick up in your local pharmacy "Hibiclens" antimicrobial soap or chlorhexiderm scrub. Wash area with this soap 2-3 times a day. If you do not find the above soap use over the counter antibacterial soap.

3- After washing affected area as above apply a topical antibiotic like neosporin or bacitracin. Do this 2-3 times a day for the next 7-10 days.

4- If no significant improvement after doing the above in 2-3 days follow up with your family veterinarian for a hands-on examination.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.

Dr. Peter

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian