Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Greenish discharge from her eyes. Honey, 5. Honey. She seems…

Customer Question
Greenish discharge from her...

Greenish discharge from her eyes.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?

Honey, 5

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

Honey

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?

No, she seems fine. I thought she might have allergies, but its been happening several times a day, everyday

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
7/28/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Scott Perry, Dog Veterinarian replied 6 months ago
Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Dog Veterinarian

Hello. My name is***** and I am a veterinarian that can answer your question. I understand that Honey has green discharge coming from both eyes. There are a few different things that can cause this. Are you noticing Honey to be squinting her eyes or do the eyes appear redder than normal?

No, she seems normal

I am happy to hear that. Green discharge is caused by the conjunctiva being inflamed. This can happen for many reasons, but one possibility is from allergies. A fast and effective treatment for allergies affect the eye is with a good over-the-counter human antihistamine product. One such example is called, Zaditor, and is available at most pharmacies. I would recommend to apply this as 1-2 drops in each eye every 12 hours for 3-5 days. There are no side effects to be concerned about for such a short course use, and you should observe an improvement within 24 hours if this is the correct approach.

Other possible causes of green discharge in the eyes is an upper respiratory infection, low tear production, or foreign body. If the treatment for allergies does not show improvement then these possibilities should be considered next.

Please let me know if you have any other questions. If you have no other questions, I would greatly appreciate a positive review. You may leave up to 5 stars when ready. Your review helps connect Experts with other customers, so your input is highly appreciated. Thank you!

Scott Perry
Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Dog Veterinarian