Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My daughter adopted a 7 month old Blue Heeler pup, they had…

Customer Question
My daughter adopted a...

My daughter adopted a 7 month old Blue Heeler pup, they had him neutered a couple of weeks ago. He is have some behavior issues, they work and he is on his own for about 12 hours a day. They have him on a cable run, but he gets off that somehow. So they have left him off that but he is just out of control when they home and will not calm down. When they are home all day, like the weekend he is just fine. They don't have a choice on his being alone during the work week. Any suggestions on what they can try to calm him down?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Is this new behavior?

It is, one of them was able to be off a couple of weeks so he was with someone all day. Until this week. The first few days and nights they had him he was very upset, came from an unknown situation when the adopted him.

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

Jake

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Jake?

He is about 60 pounds and they were told he was a mix with some other cattle breed to be that large, but has all the blue heeler markings. He settled in really well and was doing great, when on an overnight hike and loved it. So this all started the 1st day he was home alone!

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
7/28/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Sally G., Dog Training Consultant replied 8 months ago
Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant

Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I have been in the dog field for 25 years. I am a Therapy Dog & AKC Evaluator/trainer/ as well as an assistance/service dog trainer, specializing in behavior. It will be my pleasure to help you today. It may take a few minutes for me to type a personal response or type questions regarding your situation. Your patience is very much appreciated.

It is never easy for a 7 month old dog to be left alone that amount of time and because of this you will see behavior problems. As you said he is fine when they are with him, but not when alone.

It sounds like he is not getting any mental stimulation through the day and that is where much of the problem lies.

Allowing a puppy to just run on a cable is not proper exercise or mental stimulation and I fear more problems lie ahead.

I would suggest that they get the puppy into a doggy day care or find someone that can take the dog into their home ( a reliable sitter) a few times a week.

I would suggest that the dog have many toys/puzzles that are mentally stimulating . These can be found in pet stores and on amazon. There needs to be several of them and they need to be interchanged.

I would suggest that they train the dog daily if even for 15 to 20 minutes when they get home and I would use a positive training method such as clicker training.

Clicker training/positive method training/ print off

http://www.clickerlessons.com/

video’s to see how clicker training is done, scroll down to videos http://www.clickertrainusa.com/clicker-training-videos.htm

There are calming CD's and music that may help him relax. However I do not suspect this will end until they get a better routine in place for him.

Through a dogs ear (CD of calming music)

http://www.amazon.com/Through-Dogs-Ear-Canine-Companion/dp/B003C1F1PI/ref=sr_1_2?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1393982686&sr=1-2&keywords=through+a+dogs+ear

calming music on youtube to try out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1OHEB41yRdU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=89&v=joe-ePqCqWc

Buster cube

http://www.amazon.com/Buster-Food-Cube-Large-Colors/dp/B0006G54OU/ref=sr_1_2?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1393982864&sr=1-2&keywords=buster+cube

Dog Puzzles. If you just type in dog puzzles on amazon you will come to a page full. I just happened to pick this one . PetCo also carries dog puzzles.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Dpets&field-keywords=dog+puzzles+for+large+dogs

Puppy toy with heart beat.

https://www.puplife.com/products/snuggle-puppies-dog-toys?utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=googlepla&variant=400293629&gclid=CjwKEAjwoLfHBRD_jLW93remyAQSJABIygGptMzVh4XjKk_1fpjjA9NPelkYWG5Ef_TBhGhhgCW0XxoCJsbw_wcB

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

DakotaSouthFive
Sally G.
Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant