Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My puppy 7 months old is acting very hyped up, and won't

Customer Question

My puppy 7 months old is acting very hyped up, and won't stop searching for dust, string, leaves, anything she can find! She threw up a few minutes ago, a whole pile of bedding stuffing from her bed, but she is acting like she's hyped up on something!!! I wonder if the pillow stuffing has some chemical from china on it that is making her so goofy and obsessed right now!
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did your puppy eat anything unusual?
Customer: Just going all around the kitchen, and bedroom like a human vacuum eating dust etc!
JA: What is the puppy's name?
Customer: Coco
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Coco?
Customer: No. She recently had been spayed and a few days ago, had the stitches removed, so we were there very recently. This is the second time, she has done this weird behavior after eating stuffing from a dog bed! She got so so sick the last time, and threw up twice, huge gobs of stuffing material. Not so bad this time but still acting like she needs a "fix"!
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but I wanted to touch base with you about Coco.

Now her signs do sound like she has gotten into something (ie chemicals, drugs, plants, etc) but there are no reports of toxins in pillow stuffing. Anyway, if there is any chance of toxicity, we can consider administering activated charcoal. This can be used up to 8 hours post ingestion to bind any toxin left in the stomach. This is available over the counter from the pharmacy (ask for the high strength version, not the one for gas) and works by binding any remaining material in the stomach. For activated charcoal, we tend to give 1-4 grams per pound every 8 hrs. This can be mixed with food to be fed or with water to syringe feed (do note that it stains, so keep it away from white carpets/clothes). This will just limit how much is absorbed and reduce the intoxication risk here.

Otherwise, we can see odd eating like this on occasion with nauseous dogs. Often they eat odd items trying to make themselves vomit. It can be from something they ate but also a sign with gut infections, worms, or even stomach ulcers. So, you can also try her with an antacid like Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid) or Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac). Whichever you use, we'd give this 20 minutes before food to allow absorption and of course double check with your vet before use if your wee one has any known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned. After, we can feed a light diet option for a few days. Examples of an easily digestible diet include cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled egg, or meat baby food (as long as its free from garlic or onion powder). Ideally, we want to offer this as small frequent meals to keep the stomach settled. But of course if her signs linger, then we'd want a check with her vet to make sure we haven't any of the above concerns nor blockage from the odd items she has eaten already.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**