Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

My dog has been bleeding on and off from the nose. My

Customer Question

My dog has been bleeding on and off from the nose . My previous dog had the same thing. I think he passed away because of this.Could it be environmental/
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know what to do about this bleeding. I'll connect you ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your dog?
Customer: Not eating very good.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 months ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

Epistaxis (bloody nose) in dogs usually arises secondary to thrombocytopenia (a lack of blood platelets) as a result of a tick borne infection such as Ehrlichiosis, immune-mediated thrombocytopenia, or an anticoagulant rodenticide and so, yes, both your dogs could have been exposed to the rodenticide and both could have contracted a tick-borne infection. It would be very unlikely for the two of them to develop an immune-mediated thrombocytopenia. Your vet can test for bleeding due to a rodenticide and can test for the tick-borne infections endemic where you live. Time is of the essence if you're already seeing bleeding from a body orifice.

Finally, in elderly dogs epistaxis is most often due to a bleeding tumor in the sinus or nasal passage. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thank you

You're quite welcome. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No, I'll take him to the vet,

Sounds good. You may receive an inappropriate follow-up from the site ostensibly sent by me. It wasn't and I apologize in advance should you receive it.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?