Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

We just adopted him, apparently he had no issues with his…

Customer Question
Hello! We just adopted...

Hello! We just adopted him, apparently he had no issues with his crate at his foster home, but at our house he destorys the pad and pees not sure what to do

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. What seems to be the problem with the dog?

He pees in and destroys the pad in his crate when we leave him never more than 5 - 6 hours at a time and put plenty of toys, food and a kong with penut butter in there he is always walked before hand

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name and age?

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
7/28/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Sheena Christensen,
 replied 9 months ago
Sheena Christensen

Hi there. I am Dr. Christensen. Congratulations on your new puppy. Do you know if the crate you have Tucker in is similar in size to the crate he was in at his foster home?

He was in an 2XL crate at his foster home, we got him and XL crate on the advise of the foster. She was using that crate because she had it for her former foster dog and said it was a little too big for him. He can stand, turn around and move in it too.
Dog Veterinarian: Sheena Christensen,
 replied 9 months ago

It sounds like you are right on track by offering safe toys like the Kong's and making sure that he is getting enough exercise before hand. He may be acting out a little due to the recent change. I know that it is a positive change, but still may be causing some stress for Tucker.

Dog Veterinarian: Sheena Christensen,
 replied 9 months ago

If the crate is large compared to Tucker, it may be worth getting yet a size smaller (I know you have already down sized compared to the Foster home). I would heavily advise not putting the Pee pads in there with him, as I don't want him to eat them and end up with a foreign body in his digestive system.

Dog Veterinarian: Sheena Christensen,
 replied 9 months ago

Be sure that when you get home you let him out immediately and give excessive verbal praise and a treat reward.

Dog Veterinarian: Sheena Christensen,
 replied 9 months ago

I hope that was helpful

Dog Veterinarian: Sheena Christensen,
 replied 9 months ago

P​lease let me know if there is anything else I can do to help. I would greatly appreciate it if you would take a moment to rate my service. Thank you.

Thank you. Sorry if I was confusing, we havn't been putting puppy pads down, just the large crate pads (like the crate pillows). Do you think spraying the stuff that tastes bad on them would help>?
Dog Veterinarian: Sheena Christensen,
 replied 9 months ago

It certainly might. Something like bitter apple can help prevent chewing. It is very dog dependent, but is certainly worth a try.

Sheena Christensen
Sheena Christensen
Sheena Christensen