Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

1 yr old male, neutered lab started squatting to pee alot…

Customer Question
1 yr old male...

1 yr old male, neutered lab started squatting to pee alot today. No "ill" symptoms. Been hot, and drinks water...but no more than usual.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?

George

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about George?

No, unless he needs to know he is a nut case.....

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
7/28/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Emily, Dog Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Dr. Emily
Dr. Emily, Dog Veterinarian

My name is***** and I would like to assist with your concern today.

The most common cause of the sign you are seeing at home is a bladder infection. With a urinary tract infection (bladder, kidneys) -- sometimes we may see blood in the urine as well with this but not always. The way to detect a bladder infection is to retrieve a urine sample and have it examined under a microscope for signs of infection (bacteria, white cells that fight infection) or have it cultured (put on a plate to grow bacteria if any are present). A bladder infection can occur at any time, but I am suspicious of this when there has been diarrhea, stress, boarding, etc. Diarrhea can create more of a mess on a pet's rear end. This can cause bacteria translocation from the anal area, hair, tail up the urethra into the bladder. The bacteria can also be moved from the fecal area to the urethral from the pet licking. Dogs do lots of licking so that is why we can see spontaneous infections. Urinary tract infections are treated with antibiotics that your vet would be able to prescribe. Sometimes the signs are intermittent, showing up suddenly and seeming to improve. However, it is still best to have the urine checked.

Please review the above info and let me know what questions I can answer further.

Hello, just wanted to check in and see how things were going today.

Dr. Emily
Dr. Emily
Dr. Emily, Dog Veterinarian