Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

I have a 10 year old Yorkie that sometimes uses a pee pad in

Customer Question

I have a 10 year old Yorkie that sometimes uses a pee pad in my home. I noticed what appears to be blood in her urine. Not sure what that could be.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the Yorkie's name?
Customer: Sophie
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Sophie?
Customer: She was given to me last October so I don't know much about her medical history.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 2 months ago.

Hi. My name is***** Thank you for your question about Sophie. Do you feel that she's urinating more frequently? Is she posturing to go longer? Is she spayed?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
She's going to the bathroom normally so far...

Blood in the urine could be due to bladder stones. It could be due to a urinary tract infection. It could be due to a bladder wall mass. These are probably the top 3 rules outs here. The best thing to do is to have her evaluated by your vet and have a urinalysis and abdominal x-rays done to get baselines to see which of the 3 it may be. A bladder ultrasound is also a very good diagnostic step to do in this situation too.