Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian
14018973

Saw mucus & obvious blood in stool this morning. stool has

Customer Question

saw mucus & obvious blood in stool this morning. stool has been softer than usual and brownish red for last couple of days. She threw up last night.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: no. I always let her try my table food but nothing out of the normal
JA: OK. The Expert will know what to do. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Ginger, shes 10
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: Ginger
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Ginger?
Customer: No
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 2 months ago.

Hi. My name is***** I'm sorry to hear about Ginger's situation. How long ago was her last vomit? Has she ate or drank anything this morning?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Not exactly sure on time of vomit but probably 3 or 4 am. She had water this morning & left her food bowl out when left to work so not sure if she's eaten any of it.

Did she drink her water this morning? When you left for work, was she pretty bright and alert?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
she drank a little water this morning after coming in from short walk and was alert

That is good that she drank that water and was alert and went on her walk. Could the blood and mucus in the stool this morning just be due to what upset her stomach? That is very possible. A lot of dogs that have vomiting, will have lose stool with mucus and possibly some blood in it right after the nausea event. A very common cause for vomiting is just eating something that just upset the intestinal tract. In her situation, it may be something time is all that is needed. When you get home, it is very important that there is no more vomit and that she starts to eat and still stay active. IF she's having more vomiting, not eating, or getting run down - then a trip to the vet would be a very good idea.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
in a worse case scenario, what could it be?

More than likely, worst case scenario would be she has eaten a foreign material that is stuck somewhere in here and that is the cause of the vomiting. IF that is the case, then the vomiting should continue and she won't be eating.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thank you

No problem. I am hoping for the best for your girl.