Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
60411192

My dog ate 2 small cooked chicken drumticks and im worried.

Customer Question

Hi my dog ate 2 small cooked chicken drumticks and im worried.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know if your dog will be able to digest that. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your dog?
Customer: I have ben trying to look for signs but she is jumping up and down on couch. Slightly stretched out. I have nonidea what im really looking fo
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
She is alightly stretched out.. but lets me rub her belly
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 2 months ago.

Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help with this concern about your dog.

1. How long ago did she eat the chicken? (minutes or hours, please, since we're likely in different time zones)

2. How much does she weigh?

Thanks, Deb

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
She woeghs about 15 or-18kg and it was about 2 hours ago
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 2 months ago.

Thanks for the answers to my questions.

Please give me a few minutes to type back a reply for you. Deb

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I have made up a rice and mix in a chicken stock cub and a bit of her wet food in it to line her stomach
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 2 months ago.

Unfortunately, dogs eat bones of all sorts all the time (especially chicken bones) but, fortunately, they rarely suffer any adverse consequences from doing so because the stomach acid can help soften them. As a result, in most cases, if not a huge amount was eaten and the dogs are large enough (such as in this case), then they will pass through the stomach and intestines with no problem. They might cause a little irritation as they are passing through which might result in looser stools for a day or so but this quickly resolves.

I don't typically suggest that vomiting be induced to retrieve the bone since to do so could cause damage to the esophagus or the bone could become lodged there which would mean the patient is in greater trouble; what goes down doesn't necessarily come back up with ease, in other words. We hope that they will pass which they usually do.

Transit time is usually about 12-24 hours in most cases to give you an idea of what to expect although if the bones remain in the stomach for a while (which sometimes happens), they might take a little longer to pass.

What I'd suggest you do is feed another meal (although it sounds as if you've already done this) or add additional fiber such as whole wheat bread. Increase exercise and activity level which can help to move things along.

Signs to monitor on the off chance that the bones are causing an obstruction would be vomiting, disinterest in food, lethargy and/or abdominal pain. Should any of these signs develop, then a vet visit would be wise.

More than likely, though, she'll be just fine.

I hope this helps, Deb

What you can do to help move thingsalong would be to increase the fiber in his diet by adding cannedpumpkin (NOT the pie mix). You can give him 1 tsp twice a day.
Youcould also give him raw bran flakes such as wheat bran at a dose of1/2 tsp daily.

For the softer stools, you can feed1 part boiled chicken or hamburg or low fat cottage cheese to 4 parts20-minute boiled white rice, small meals throughout the day. This maynot be absolutely necessary, though, since the stools usually becomefirm within a few days on their own after the bones pass (if they do,of course).

Transit time is usually about 24-36 hours in mostcases to give you an idea of what to expect.
But since he islethargic, I would encourage you to have him seen. An x-ray willquickly tell how many bones he might have in his body and where theyare located.
If they are located only in his stomach and the ERhospital has an endoscope, then they may be able to retrieve them.But if they are in the intestines and/or there is evidence ofobstruction or perforation, then he will need surgery, I'm sorry tosay.

The concern when presented with aproblem such as this is that if you induce vomiting in Jack, there'sthe risk that this utensil might become lodged in his esophagus onthe way back up which could potentially cause some seriousdamage.
Just because it went down smoothly doesn't necessarilymean that it will come back up that way.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I got her to run down the hall way with me and she did that fine. She is a medium dog that y i was worried but i hear and read stories all the time. She let me rub her belly fine aswell. She is just laying out on the floor now but she alwys does that. Im just trying not to over think it and freak out bigtime
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 2 months ago.

I wouldn't expect her to have developed any significant symptoms since it's been such a short time since she ate the bones. In fact, I don't really expect her to develop any signs at all since the vast majority of dogs who eat bones don't.

I can understand your concern but I hope this helps to provide at least a measure of peace of mind. Deb

PS My apologies for including text which was intended for another pet owner but I assume you probably already figured this out.

Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 2 months ago.
Hi Jessica,
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Deb
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 2 months ago.

Hello again,

I'm just following up on your dog. How are things going with her? Deb