Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

I have an english bulldog puppy of 4 months. He had cherry

Customer Question

Hi, I have an english bulldog puppy of 4 months. He had cherry eye and the surgery was done to remove them. Puppy i am told by the surgeon was sensitive to the anesthesia and its now 48hrs and he hasnt recovered - his legs are stiff and he isnt moving and he only started trying to move his head now and is taking some liquid food. they mentioned it may be brain damage or a stroke but they cant tell.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the English bulldog. What is the English bulldog's name?
Customer: HIs name is*****: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Brisket?
Customer: operation was on wednesday and until today he is still not on his feet. Vet gives him drip and monitors him but his leg are still stiff (1st night they used to bend when he was at home from surgery my vet said he reacted sensitively to the anethesia currently he is not using his feet (which are all somewhat stiff) jaw was locked until yesterday - today he managed to eat some liquid food. he is responisve with his eyes but not mobile
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
to recap: He had the cherry eye removal surgery on wednesday afternoon. Surgeon said he was sensitive to the anesthesia. When i took him home he still wasnt on his feet and he was panting and in distress (movnig his feet - as if he was swimming). the day after his legs stiffened so he went back to the vet for observation. he was placed on the drip for fluids and he seemed calmer - it was mentioned maybe he had brain damage or a stroke but they couldnt be certain. He still has stifness in legs and Thursday his jaw as also locked. Friday morning he tries to move his head and is taking a bit of liquid food (legs still stiff). Could it be a case of brain damage or stroke or is it that being sensitive to the anesthesia it takes time to get out of it ? could it be that it takes more than 48hrs to recover?
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 2 months ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Is Brisket still hospitalized with your vet at this time or at home?

Do you have video of his current condition?

Did your vet mention any critical therapy that was required including rescue drugs, chest compressions, positive pressure ventilation, etc?